Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I didn{t realize I still play Varsity

December 15th, 2006 Chulucanas, Peru

I didn´t realize I still play Varsity

Every Saturday I play basketball in Chulucanas with my counterpart Mario. He told me instead of playing Saturday we were going to play on Friday in the new coliseum in Chulucanas. Apparently, he told me a lot more but I must not have been paying attention very well.

Friday night we walked up to the coliseum and I could hear the national anthem. I walked in to see about 1,000 people in the stands. Afterwards, the mayor gave a speech and some kids performed traditional dances. These little 6 to 8 year old kids are incredibly impressive. Following this a group of women from Chulucanas played a volleyball game against a team from Piura.

Now it was our turn. We suited up in uniforms. There were referees. This was for real. I didn´t start but after the first 3 minutes of the first quarter was subbed in. Little did I know I would play the next 37 minutes without a break. Or water. I couldn´t drink the water fountain water so I gave money to the coach to have someone retrieve me some. He didn’t return until the last 5 minutes of the game.

He got down by 8 at one point but then placed me at point guard to break the press and going into the fourth quarter we were up by 10. But that lead slowly crumbled as they ran a different press and a certain player of ours kept turning it over. With a minute left they made a 3 to go up by 1 point. With 30 seconds left one of our players gets fouled in the bonus and makes both free throws after missing his previous 5. They miss and I grab the rebound and begin to dribble up court where I am fouled with 3 seconds left and us up by one. I don´t recall the gym ever being so loud during my days at New Life. Nor do I ever remember us ever having a 1,000 fans in one game. My first free throw rolls around the rim and falls off to the side. I calmly swish the second to put us up by two forcing a three in the final seconds. They fail to make it.

People are going nuts. I get tackled after spotting a game high 13 points. The team is presented with a trophy and pictures are taken. As I walk out little kids are asking the “Colorado” (whiteboy or gringo) to sign autographs on their shirts. Mario´s teenage nieces inform of a few fans I have but when I wave they scurry off giggling.

Its now 1:15am and we head to a little restaurant with the team and down a couple Coke´s and eat a full meal. Returning to the Mario´s house at 2:15am I shower and crash before we have to be up at 7am.

Might have been the best night I have had in Peru. Oh, the glory days of varsity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home