Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Trip to the Sierra

June 26th, 2008 Pambarumbe, Peru

Hana´s Site

The next afternoon Rachel and hiked about an hour to the town of San Miguel where I caught a bus passing by. In Pambarumbe, I got to see Hana´s various projects. She has a quite successful school garden. Her big project as a youth volunteer has been to develop a community library. It’s really cool and now she is working on coding all the books. Hana´s host mom used to cook for a Mormon family in Lima, so she does a little more contemporary cooking. We asked to borrow her waffle iron because every time Hana and I are in Mancora we reminisce about how we used to eat waffles all the time in the college cafeteria. Unfortunately the iron wasn´t working properly and wouldn´t heat up. So we ate some really really dense pancakes. The bus passes at 5am so I got up early to head back into Piura. My trip to the sierra was fun. It´s always good to see other volunteer´s sites and get to share their successes with them.

June 25th, 2008 Santo Domingo, Peru

Rachel´s Site

Since I was already up the mountain, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to visit some other volunteer´s sites. Today I visited with Rachel, another Peru 7 volunteer. These towns in the sierra are quite different from where I live. Santo Domingo is actually fairly developed with internet, a couple of restaurants and asphalt roads. In the caserios or annexes, I think the people are pretty poor like the people who live in my village. Rachel primarily works with a weaving association so we visited her artisan´s workshop. We pretty much just hung most of the day and had dinner with another volunteer named Alyssa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home