Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Circus

April 26th, 2008 La Encantada, Peru

The Circus

Peru is one big circus but that doesn´t stop a formal company from staking a tent in small rural towns and offering a few hours of needed amusement. I noticed that every night a couple of my favorite kids kept going to hang out in front of the circus tent. So I decided to treat a family of 4 and their cousins. We got their early to make sure we had good seats. I mean location. I don´t think my legs or but has ever been so sore after spending 4 hours on hard narrow wooden benches with my legs practically crouched up in my face. But the circus was rather amusing. The acts were what´s expected of a small town Third World circus. But the comic troupe was actually quite funny although crude. Due to my superb ability to stick out, I was fortunate to be the butt of two jokes. For one I was forced to stand in front of the crowd of 500 while the clown demonstrated the four parts of the body: the head, the trunk, the extremities, and the little trunk. Afterwards, one clown wanted to teach a younger teenage clown how to pursue a love interest. He instructed the young clown to choose a girl from the stands. He chose one of the girls from my youth group and proceeded to botch sweet nothings and sing to her. She was quite embarrassed but handled it well. Around midnight I headed home with several happy kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home