Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Chalaco Anniversary

June 22nd – 24th, 2008 Chalaco, Peru

Chalaco Anniversary

My host dad is originally from a town in the sierra called Chalaco. Its about 6 hours from Piura up a mountain. The municipality invited him and my host mom to display their ceramics and give a presentation on the process. Two of my good friends, Mike and Casey, are volunteers in Chalaco so I headed up with my host family for a couple of days. Hana and Ella, other volunteers from the Piura area, were there so we had quite the time.

Bull Fight

The first day we went to the bull fight where they post two bulls against each other. When one bull eventually tires and runs away from the other bull, a winner is declared. Due to miserable rain this activity was cut short. It was kind of interesting and much more humane than the Spanish bull fights which pit a bull against a human with a sword.

The Fair

On Monday and Tuesday we attended the fair where various artisans displayed their products such as weavings, artisanal jam or candy and my host family´s ceramics. Tuesday was the national Day of the Farmer, so there was a big dance that evening. I am usually the big man on campus in site, so you can imagine what it was like having 5 gringos roaming the party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home