Thursday, February 22, 2007

Superbowl and Grandmas Birthday

February 5th & 6th, 2007 Piura, Peru

Sunday Meetings and the Superbowl

This weekend marked the first time I saw the other volunteers of the department of Piura since New Year’s. That meant 5 weeks. That’s a long time considering its custom for us to meet every 2 to 3 weeks. It was really fun to see everyone. We went to the pool one day, made the market trip, danced it up one night and then Sunday held many a meeting before the Superbowl.

First, I met with Wilfredo to discuss his experience raising ducks which I will begin with some families in my site quite soon. Then all the volunteers met because we are starting a theater group to give health presentations drama style. We will then travel from site to site performing health dramas. Finally, we met to discuss an ALMA camp we will be hosting in June. This camp is for teenage girls and is a camp to capacitate them as leaders within in their community. It’s a good project.

After the marathon of meetings, we all settled down to watch the Superbowl. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to watch the commercials because the station was in Spanish and therefore didn’t have the rights to the game. It was a pretty good game though.

February 4th, 2007 Piura, Peru

Grandma’s Birthday

Today I traveled to Piura with my host family to celebrate the 81st birthday of the mother of my host dad. It was a fun time. Almost all of the siblings of my host dad live in Piura and they all gathered at my host grandma’s home to celebrate. We ate a nice dinner of lamb that my family killed just hours earlier in La Encantada. Talk about fresh.

Around 9pm grandmas was growing quite tired and asked her kids to dance. A Peruvian isn’t considered successful unless multiple people dance for an extended period of time. We danced until 1am more or less before retiring for the night. It was a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home