Sunday, August 06, 2006

Site Placement

August 6th, 2006 Santa Eulalia, Peru

Site Placement

On Tuesday I found out I will be spending the next two years in La Encantada, Piura. This small town of 5,000 people is about 20 minutes from the city of Chulucanos, a decent size city. It is about another hour from Piura City in the department of Piura (kind of like a state). Piura is in the north of Peru and although the department is on the coast, I will be a few hours from the Pacific. It is quite near the equator, and I am actually closer to the capital city of Quito, Ecuador than I am from Lima ( a 16 hour bus ride).

I am replacing another Volunteer named Tom who visited us earlier during training, and whose attitude is great. I will be working with an artisans association which produces ceramics. My secondary project will be working with a restaurant. There is no restaurant in this town but a decent amount of tourists pass through to see the artisans at work. Supposedly, 2000 of the 5000 people are ceramists. I will be going to visit Piura for field based training on Monday and visiting my site also so I will be able to tell you guys more later when I have visited it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home