Sunday, July 30, 2006

Independence Day

July 30th, 2006 Santa Eulalia, Peru

Independence Day

This past weekend was consisted of "feriados" for Independence Day which is July 28 here. It was actually kind of a letdown on the day itself. The people here now how to party. Most of the neighborhood parties start at like 4pm and go until 5am in the morning or later. But the historian who shared with us last week claims that there is a real lack of identity here within the country. Not a whole lot happened. Definitely no fireworks, although there was a parade in Lima. I went with my family to a city called Nana, where my mother’s family lives.

We ate Panchamanca style, which is pretty cool. It is typical plate enjoyed in Peru. Basically, you get some rocks really hot and throw pots of meat (rabbit, lamb, chicken, etc) on the rocks. Then you surround the pots with potatoes and sweet potatoes. Throw some tamales on top of that and cover with banana leaves. So yeah, it cooks in the ground. Very tasty.

Saturday I went to a party at the local church and where the youth were presenting the ancient dances performed back in the day throughout Peru. That was pretty fun. Sunday we went to a recreational type park where we played volleyball, ate fried chicken, swam and played a game kind of like washers. All in all the weekend was pretty fun. Except there were no fireworks.

Tuesday they tell us where each individual person is going to spend the next two years. That is quite the day. I think it will really hit people when they realize how far they will be from so and so. Friendships have really developed in slightly more than a month. My money says someone cries. I’ll let you know. Sometimes, I forget I live in Peru. I’ll be packed like sardines in a bus and notice some billboards and then realize I live here. I am not on a two week vacation. I LIVE HERE……for the next two years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home