Wednesday, June 07, 2006

General Information

This is the first post of my blog which I hope will serve as an outlet for my thoughts, frustrations, and joys during my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer. To all those who are interested in serving themselves, I hope you are able to find valuable insight when making decisions for yourself.


As most of you know, I will soon be departing this fantastic nation we call America, for the beautiful landscape of Peru. Although Peru is the host to capable people with the appropriate resources, the country has suffered from corrupt government leading to extreme poverty. Approximately, 54% of the population lives under the poverty line of $2 per day. The Peace Corps sends Volunteers to attempt to remedy the underlying problems and alleviate the pain the Peruvian people have suffered for years.

On June 21st, I will fly from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Washington, D.C. to participate in Peace Corps Orientation. On June 23rd, I will depart for Lima, Peru where I will endure 10 weeks of training. This will include

About midway through training, I will be assigned to a smaller town that will serve as my post. I will be located here for two full years beginning on September 1, 2006. Barring any family emergencies back home, I will most likely not return to the States until September 1, 2008.

I will be working as a volunteer in the Small Business Developments sector. This entails providing general business consultation to various citizens seeking advice. The majority of the time, I will be researching the opportunity to place existing products in new markets or developing new market distribution channels, especially those utilizing the Internet. Primarily, I will be working with artisans and agricultural businessmen as well as with other small business owners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home