Saturday, June 24, 2006

Orientation in D.C.

June 21st, 2006 Washington, D.C.

Pre-Staging Orientation

I guess it goes without saying that the people are extremely friendly here. I mean I have spent the past four years in the friendly state, Texas, but the atmosphere here is something I have never quite experienced. It is a bit like the first days at college in your min-con group except that the backgrounds vary more and you realize these 37 volunteers are the ones you’ll be friends with for life. Rest assured, I am quite certain that a supportive network will be developed by the end of staging.

After arriving in D.C., I spent sometime with Leah who is interning in D.C. at a church. We ate at Wok ‘n’ Roll, a small Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. Orientation was just a bunch of exercises where we began to understand the policies to a fuller extent. For dinner, a group called Amigos de Bolivia y Peru joined us at a tapas bar called Oyamel. This was beneficial because Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCV) joined us and shared their experiences as well as answered any lingering questions we may have had. This group seems quite fun and I feel confident that at least I will be able to relate to those who are about to embark with me on this journey.

June 22nd, 2006 Washington, D.C.

Pre-staging Orientation

It is interesting how stereotypes seldom represent what is true. You may have preconceived ideas about who a Peace Corps volunteer is. As did I, but so far I have yet to find anyone who even remotely resembles the volunteer I first conjured before I even gave a mere thought to joining. The idea of volunteers as modern day hippies has apparently decided not to represent itself in my class of volunteers, at least as far as I can tell. But yet, classifying these people on the few conversations I have engaged in with these new found journeymen does not seem all that contrary to stereotyping. I imagine I will rely less on preconceived assumptions as I emerge from my blatant ignorance.

Orientation progressed as it should and primarily consisted of more interactive instructional type activities. Other than lunch at the Pentagon City Café and dinner at a nice place called the Lebanese Tavern the day remained fairly educational. After making a few final phone calls, I joined the others at a bar called the sky dome which overlooked the D.C. skyline. Quite beautiful.

The adjectives I would use to describe my mood one day before departure would be calm and curious. I believe I have been able to maintain such a state of tranquility because this is a day I have prepared for for quite some time. My experience so far has led me to believe the Peace Corps’ 45 years of experience has taught them that a smooth transition is imperative to success. This time in Washington has indeed served its purpose.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger soulmeetsbody said...

Tapas bar...hehehe.
Love ya and miss ya!
-tu hermana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home