Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Time at Home

December 20th & 21st, 2007 Grand Rapids, Michigan

R & R Time

I spent most of my time home doing nothing. I took advantage of free high speed internet to catch up on the world´s troubles. I lounged in front of the TV and appreciated the countless English channels at my fingertips. I played a little billiards while savoring several cans of Dr. Pepper. Mostly, I ate all day. American food may not be the best cuisine in the world but the food in America has no rival. I mean you can find everything there.

December 19th, 2007 Houston to Chicago, USA

Home at Last!

I landed in Houston and fortunately hit all the customs lines just right. Since, I only had 35 minutes before my connecting flight, I darted to the other terminal and boarded as one of the final passengers. I met my parents at the baggage carousel and we made are way to the parking lot. The cold crisp air in my lungs was a refreshing slap in the face.

We lunched at a favorite spot of mine: Chipotle. Here I would make my first of many linguistic mistakes. The Hispanic employee asked me which type of beans I wanted. Instinctively, I replied, “Los frejoles negros, por favor.” I continued down the line and then realized I have a lot to get used to. Hopefully, she doesn´t think I am some prick who assumes all Hispanics speak Spanish.

Upon arrival I was greeted by my brother and a fistful of snowballs. He has been waiting for years to get me back for whitewashing him one day two winters ago (the last winter I was home). Sis got home later from work and embraced me lovingly. Since I had only slept 3 of the previous 48 hours, I crashed early. Oh, how a comfortable a real mattress is. And blankets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home