Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Peru 6 Takes Off & Peace Corps Fair

October 28th, 2007 Colan, Peru

Peru 6 Despedida

Peace Corps Peru gets two new training classes a year. Two training classes also depart after their two years of service. It is tradition to throw a going away party for the departing class. We headed up to Colan and stayed in some cheap but quaint beach bungalows. (They rent for only $3 a head). We tossed around the football. Played several hands of Spades and downed a rum and coke or two. A couple of volunteers assembled a mini bonfire where we roasted sausages and recalled the good times of the last year together.

I was sad to see them go. There a few people in particular who really helped me get through the last year. Anna, a native Minnesota gal, was always there to salivate over Minnesota State Fair memories but more importantly to offer wisdom when wisdom was needed. Jimmy might be the most fun loving guy this side of the equator. Laura always makes you feel good about yourself. Lenah makes you never want to stop dancing. Carolyn gives great intercultural dating advice. Zandi will inevitably make you smile.

Now that they are gone, that leaves us Peru 7 folks in charge. Hopefully, we can offer advice when advice be needed. I feel like I am losing a couple of big sisters. May happiness find you in the next chapter of life.

October 12th, 2007 Lima, Peru

Embassy Peace Corps Fair

The past few days have been crazy trying to prepare my groups for the Peace Corps fair that is held in the embassy every year. I was really proud of my artisans because they are starting to understand the importance of quality. The pieces as a whole were of much better quality than they had been in the past. They sold like crazy in the morning when the traffic was great. Unfortunately, the overall traffic throughout the day was less this year and therefore only just surpassed last years sales total.

Since the dried fruit project has only been in production for a month or so, we were only able to carry about 60 bags of dried fruit. This group was very successful and sold out before lunch. Everyone in the embassy was very impressed with the professionalism of the packaging and congratulated us on the project. We are of the opinion that this project has serious potential. Its needless to say that I am stoked about working on this project throughout the close of my service. I plan on bringing some dried fruit to the States when I come home for Christmas. Feel free to contact me if would like me to ship you some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home