Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Christmas Activities

December 25th, 2007 Coldwater, Michigan

Christmas Day

We woke up early and opened family gifts. Then we ventured to my Uncle Jim and Robin´s house in Coldwater where we met my grandparents from my mother´s side. We spent hours catching up, opening gifts and eating. My Uncle Jim and Grandpa can talk nonstop for hours. It was fun to see everyone. Hopefully, next year we´ll have more time together.

December 24th, 2007 Grand Rapids, Michigan

Christmas Eve Service

It was cool to be in church again. That is one of the tougher things about living in a foreign country. Where I live there are a few churches but they tend to be extremely charismatic and I don´t really agree with their doctrine. Fortunately, there are few faithful Christian volunteers nearby. But nevertheless they still fail to replicate the fellowship and support a church body can provide.

After the candlelight service, we each opened one gift like we do every year. We played balderdash and my 12 year old brother is notorious for coming up with the craziest definitions. At one point I had to leave the room because my heart hurt from laughter. I think I ate too much red meat at dinner because I felt as if I was going to collapse from a heart attack.

December 22nd, 2007 Grand Rapids, Michigan

Benner Family Christmas Party

Today we celebrated Christmas with my Dad´s side of the family. My Uncle Tom and his daughter Rachel were the first to arrive. Rachel apparently wasn´t home for Christmas either last winter, so everyone was excited to see my cousin. I met Tom´s new partner Jim, who impressed me with his insight into the developing world. Eventually, Uncle Todd and Aunt Racy and my cousins Katie & Kristen arrived. They apparently operate on Hora Peruana. We did typical Christmas party things like snack on vegetable trays and chat. A family tradition is Spanish BINGO. There are usually like 20 Dollar Store prizes and it works white elephant style where you can either unwrap and an unopened gift or steal an opened gift from a previous winner. After a traditional Christmas dinner we exchanged gifts.
Perhaps the nicest gift I got all Christmas was from Uncles and Grandparents. They gave a good sum of money to my host family to be used on home improvements. It was very generous. Although Uncle Jeff and my grandparents were unable to attend the family get together, it was fun nonetheless. Maybe next year we´ll have everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home