Monday, February 18, 2008

Teenage Girls Youth Group

February 5th, 2008 La Encantada, Peru

Joyeria “Mi Colorado”

Most nights I spend about an hour or so hanging out with some teenagers down the street. The girls used to complain about how there isn´t really anything to do. I didn´t disagree. I asked them what they wanted to do. Several wanted to learn how to make jewelry. I don´t have any such experience but Angela, who learned in high school, offered to teach us.

I had the girls make a list of the necessary materials and then loaned them the $20 to buy them. Since November, the girls have been meeting twice a week to make jewelry from plastic beads. They then sell them to other girls around town or purchase them for their own adornment. With the profits we hope to eventually buy a volleyball net.

Although I teach basic accounting and business skills, I primarily use the opportunity to encourage women´s empowerment. I never enter the day with the intention to broach any particular topic; rather when the girls´ conversations leave windows of opportunity, I take advantage. We discuss gender roles, why some girls feel the need to marry at 16 years old, and whatever else comes up. I have seen a substantial improvement in the self-esteem levels of almost all those who participate.

I personally believe that the only way to change the machismo culture, that plagues Peru and most underdeveloped countries, is to work with the young women in town and encourage the development of their self-confidence. I think confident women raise respectful boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home