Saturday, June 02, 2007

Cajamarca Trip

May 25th, 2007 Cajamarca, Peru

PDM Conference

Wednesday through Friday we attended the conference from 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM. It was pretty well done and I think everyone’s counterparts really learned a good deal. Porfirio and I were able to plan the bulk of the dried mango project. We are planning to meet with the local mango farmers when we return and finish the planning phase of the project.

Time Likes These

Stories like the following are what make enduring the hardships so worthwhile. Understanding that the volunteers really wanted to catch up and talk English, our Peruvian counterparts offered to head back to the hostel and watch cable while we stayed and talked after dinner the first night. Later, I came back to the hostel to find Porfirio surfing the internet searching for design ideas for his pottery. He is a former computer student of mine and I taught him how to use Google to search for designs. It made me real proud to see him utilizing his new skills without me having to prompt him to do so.

Dairy Products

In Piura we have almost no dairy projects. I never get cheese and the only milk I drink is canned. The ice cream in La Encantada is well….alright. Cajamarca on the other hand is the dairy capital of Peru. All the fields raise dairy cows. Therefore, we ate some pretty decent cheese. We also ate some great ice cream. It was a lot smoother than the kind we have in Piura. I was happy. We brought back some Swiss cheese and something called manjar blanco which is like a smoother caramel spread to share with the family.

May 22nd, 2007 Cajamarca, Peru

Exploring Cajamarca

We arrived this morning in Cajamarca. This department is one of the more historical because it was one of the main stations of the great Inca civilization. The conquistadors were also fond of the scenery it offered and set up camp as well. Therefore, many beautiful cathedrals were constructed hundreds of years ago. The city has a very colonial and historical feel and by far the most beautiful city I have visited in Peru to this day. It is set in the mountains and reminds me of parts of New Mexico.

We visited several cathedrals including Santa Apolonia which hosts the Chair of the Inca which is a natural rock formation in the shape of a king’s throne. The last day we visited the Baños del Inca which is an area used by the Incas. They are natural hot spring baths. You can enter a private tub for only $1.50. The water is naturally so hot that you have to add cold water to your tub or you wouldn’t last more than 2 minutes. It was very relaxing especially in the 60 degree cold weather.

May 21st, 2007 Chiclayo, Peru

A First Time Experience

This week I am going to a Project Design and Management conference in the beautiful department of Cajamarca. The objective is to learn how to write goal and vision statements and design successful projects. Although it was a slightly repetitive for me, it was great for my counterpart who had never really learned how to organize a project. I brought my host brother who is going to be my right hand man during the upcoming dried mango project this coming mango season.

Porfirio lived in Lima during high school but has never made more than $3 to $6 a day and therefore has never had the chance to really vacation or anything like that. My goal was to spoil him this week. Sometimes Pizza Hut commercials are on and he comments that he really liked the $.66 a slice pizza in Lima. I made him a pizza for his birthday but it was pretty sketch.

When we arrived in Chiclayo we headed to the mall. When we walked into Pizza Hut, his eyes lit up. The whole time he was smiling profusely, exclaiming the incredible flavors partying in his mouth. This was only the second time I have ate real pizza in 11 months now, and I was very satisfied myself.

We later went to see a movie and although it only cost $1.50, it was his first time. He really enjoyed it. All in all for the week, it was his first time eating Chinese food, Mexican food, and Italian food. Unfortunately, we are returning to La Encantada soon and it will be rice and chicken again. At least he had a week of indulgence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home